Friday, March 21, 2008

Hamburger or History?

Tonight Barack Obama is speaking on campus. I am not a political person. In fact much to the frustration of my dear husband, I don't wish to even talk about it. It just makes me so crazy to even think of politics and all the slimy tactics so many of them take.

What makes me speak of this today besides all of the traffic and people milling around outside my office window is that a professor told me a story that made me think about what makes history. He said that in 1963 he had gone and participated in the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. He did the march and was feeling very righteous and listened to some speeches and all. When it came time for Martin Luther King to speak he said he had heard him speak many times and was hungry so talked his friend into getting a hamburger instead of staying for his speech. So now he shakes his head in regret because that was one of the most famous speeches in American history and he traded it for a hamburger. Of course he had no way of knowing the significance at that time but felt it was just ironic.

This same professor is waiting in line for hours to hear Obama speak tonight. He feels the importance of this historical event and the need to be there. Go professor!

Me? I will be at home with my three grandchildren coloring Easter eggs and baking cookies. This is my history in making and is really what is important. Perhaps I will catch Obama on the news and perhaps not.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I share the same lack of political interest, Mom! And Wade gets just as irritated at me as Dad does at you. Can't help it--I just don't care. I think it's one of those things you're born with, but I totally respect those--especially women--who are interested!!! I just can't say I'm one! :)

carrie & troy keiser said...

I think I would not be able to keep my mouth shut when something was said that I didn't agree with! I'm not too political, but I do want to know what's going on and I am passionate about my freedoms!