Monday, March 10, 2008

I Noticed Today....

What a difference a smile makes. I love spring time and the daffodils are beginning to bloom now. I took a walk around campus on my lunch hour today and before returning to work I sat on a bench to enjoy the sun. I noticed a young girl walking toward me with a very sad expression on her face. Her shoulders were hunched and she just had a look of discouragement about her. Although she was very petite and quite pretty, she seemed to have a large dark cloud following her around. A few seconds after she passed another young lady walked toward me. She was quite tall and large framed with long dark hair. She was rather plain looking if you were to compare but she looked directly at me with a great smile. It struck me that of the two girls I had just watched she by far was the most beautiful all because of her attitude and smile.

There is something about looking directly into a persons eyes and smiling, especially at those we don't personally know. If we all did this more often I am sure the world would be a more friendly place. I am just as guilty, often lost in my own thoughts. Lesson learned.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I noticed the same thing! I've realized that when I'm out and about and some random person just gives me a big, friendly grin for no reason, it brightens my whole day. Isn't that strange how much a smile can change your mood? Makes me want to make an effort to do the same for someone else! :)

Kelli said...

I agree, a smile can brighten your whole day, it doesn't matter who sends it your way! On the other hand, when you see someone looking sad, it can make you sad. Hopefully I'll see more smiles!