I traveled to Twin Falls this last weekend to visit a very dear friend and kindred spirit. We decided to craft together and this is what we came up with:
We took cedar roofing shingles, did a little crafting madness, and made signs of our last names. We also took tin stars and covered them in coordinating scrapbooking paper. We thought it would be fun to hang the signs in a collage of pictures of our family.
I didn't think to take pictures of the process but here is a quick run-down of how the sign was done:
1. Cut your cedar shingles down to the size you desire.
2. Paint the shingles and then sand them with a sander to distress them as desired. This is one of the funnest parts - take out your stress baby!!!! =0)
3. After the paint is dry, cover tiles with a walnut stain and wipe off as desired.
4. Now, cut out your desired letters in coordinating paper. Cut out shadows of the letters in
brown. This is really easy if you own a Cricut! Take brown chalk and distress your letters to make the look old.
5. Paint a layer of good ole Modge Podge on the back of each letter, attach to the shingle and then Modge Podge over the top.
6. Attached your desired embellishments, i.e. buttons, rick rack, robbon, etc.
7. Arrange letters in the shape you want and then hot glue them in place. Add finishing nails to the corners to ensure the little devil doesn't come undone!!!